Equality and diversity
The Department for Education aims to be an exemplar employer and is developing policies that aim to make opportunity equal for all children and young people.
Under the Equality Act 2010 the department has a legal duty to publish information that demonstrates compliance with Public Sector Equality Duty and to publish equality objectives.
Fairness in policy making
The department is:
- collecting and using equalities evidence to formulate our policy and decision making
- involved in effective practice in promoting equality, and engaging with communities in effective ways
Equality and diversity within the department
The Department for Education aims to be an exemplar equal opportunities employer. We value the skills and perspectives that a diverse and representative workforce bring to us and recognise that this will enable us to meet our objectives.
Workforce breakdown: The Department for Education and the Equality Act 2010
|Women in SCS||59.17%||71||55.93%||66||54.92%||67||50%||90|
|Women in TMP||59.26%||16||53.85%||14||52.00%||13||50%||15|
|BME in SCS||4.17%||5||4.24%||5||4.10%||5||3%||5|
|Disabled in SCS||2.50%||3||1.69%||2||1.64%||2||3%||5|
|LGBT in SCS||3.33%||4||3.39%||4||3.28%||4||-||<5|
|Women in feeder grades||55.08%||385||54.55%||396||55.17%||411||54%||655|
|BME in feeder grades||8.01%||56||7.85%||57||8.32%||62||8%||100|
|Disabled staff feeder grades||7.15%||50||6.89%||50||6.85%||51||5%||60|
|LGB in feeder grades||4.15%||29||4.13%||30||3.89%||29||2%||30|
Dec 2012: data taken from RM 31 December 2012. Volumes rounded to the nearest multiple of 5 and volumes less than 5 have been suppressed.
Deeper analysis of equality data and details about how we implement diversity within the department is shown in ‘Staff equality data, January 2012’. [Download]
We will update this page as new information is available or if the ways we support our staff change. We anticipate that this will include:
- further details from our 2011 staff survey
- appraisal data
- grievances and disciplinary data
- recruitment and leavers data
Working with organisations and networks
The Department for Education is working with partners in the equality and diversity sector and:
- is supporting black and minority ethnic children by speeding up the process of adoption
- is working with partners that promote equality such as Beatbullying
- is making sure that meetings on different aspects of the curriculum involve partners from the various equality communities
- has consulted with partners to develop ways to reduce the number of exclusions, including the Special Educational Consortium (SEC) and the Children’s Rights Alliance for England (CRAE)
- has supported local delivery projects in 66 local authority areas to develop innovative approaches to deliver our plans to raise the participation age (RPA)