What we do
We register and regulate charities in England and Wales, to ensure that the public can support charities with confidence.
Who we are
We have 4 offices in Liverpool, London, Newport and Taunton, and employ 323 people.
Within England and Wales, we’re responsible for:
- registering eligible organisations in England and Wales which are established for only charitable purposes
- taking enforcement action when there is malpractice or misconduct
- ensuring charities meet their legal requirements, including providing information on their activities each year
- making appropriate information about each registered charity widely available
- providing online services and guidance to help charities run as effectively as possible
Our priorities are to develop:
- public confidence in the charity sector
- the sector’s compliance and accountability
- the self-reliance of individual charities