Radioactive substances regulation (RSR) for non-nuclear sites

Environmental permitting of radioactive material and radioactive waste at non-nuclear sites in England.

Radioactive substances are widely used by hospitals, universities and industry to diagnose and treat patients, in manufacturing processes and to test the safety and quality of pipes, boilers and vessels.

If you intend to carry out a radioactive substances activity, before you start you may need to apply to the Environment Agency for a permit. For example, if you:

  • keep or use radioactive material
  • receive, accumulate or dispose of radioactive waste
  • keep or use mobile radioactive apparatus

Other, less common radioactive activities are listed in Schedule 23, part 2, paragraph 11 of the regulations.

The government has set out how radioactive substances should be regulated.

Exempt or out of scope radioactive substances activities

You may not require a permit for certain radioactive substances activities. See government guidance Scope of and exemptions from the radioactive substances legislation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Who to contact about your radioactive substances permit

You can talk to us about any aspect of the application process by phoning the Permit Support Centre on 020 3025 8174 or 020 3025 8207.

Or you can talk to your local RSR officer. Permit Support Centre staff can tell you who that is. You should do this if you’ve not had a permit before.


Apply for, change, transfer or surrender a radioactive substances permit (Parts A and F)

Before you apply, read the application form part RSR A and its associated guidance. This explains which other parts of the form you will need to complete. Part F tells you where to send it.

All applicants must fill in parts A and F:

Part B (new permits)

If you are applying for a new permit you must also fill in the relevant Part B.

Part D (transfer)

If you wish to transfer your permit to another person, both you and that other person must also fill in Part D and both of you must sign the declaration in Part F.

Part E (surrender)

If you wish to surrender your permit you must also fill in Part E.

Radioactive waste disposal

This guidance is important for preparing a permit application to dispose of radioactive waste.

Pay for your radioactive substances permit

You will need to submit the right fee. Our environmental permitting charges guidance explains in full how much your permit will cost.

If you wish to pay a charge by debit or credit card, please contact the Environment Agency:

Telephone 02030 258 174 or 02030 258 207

Comply with your radioactive substances permit

See guidance that explains the conditions of your permit and what you need to do to comply.

If your permit requires you to submit High Activity Sealed Sources (HASS) reports you can use a HASS record form and post it to:

International Waste Shipments
Richard Fairclough House
Knutsford Road

Flood risks for radioactive substances users

You should consider how climate change could increase flood risk and so pollution risk. This guidance will help you assess your flood risk and measures you can take to prevent pollution.

Published 31 March 2014
Last updated 13 August 2019 + show all updates
  1. Removed out of date exemption documents and referred customers to the government guidance Scope of and exemptions from the radioactive substances legislation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

  2. We added a link to the Environmental permitting charges guidance and updated our contact details.

  3. We have removed the Non-nuclear RSR Opra Scheme guidance.

  4. Added link to 'Part RSR-B7: apply to keep radioactive material and accumulate and dispose of radioactive waste following its unintentional receipt'

  5. Regulatory position statement: The management of radioactive items found in scrap metal has been added to the collection.

  6. New documents added: * SR2014 no 4: accumulation and disposal of radioactive waste * Application for an environmental permit: Part RSR-B6 NORM waste from the production of oil and gas

  7. First published.