Children's social care provider: do you need to register?

The first documents to read if you want to provide children's social care.

23 May 2017: these guides are under review and will be republished later in the year.

Six guides explaining when you have to register with Ofsted as:

  • adoption support agency
  • children’s home, including secure children’s home
  • independent fostering agency
  • residential family centres
  • residential holiday schemes for disabled children
  • voluntary adoption agency

There is guidance to help you if you are required to register.


Published 13 February 2015
Last updated 21 June 2016 + show all updates
  1. Residential family centre and residential holiday scheme for disabled children guidance updated to reflect June 2016 amendments to their inspection frameworks.
  2. First published.