Works on Common land and Deregistering Common Land: guidance

Works on common land and deregistering common or village green land

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

In view of the government’s advice on Coronavirus (COVID-19) some of the requirements about advertising the application have changed. Before completing the forms please email or phone 0303 444 5408 for more details.

Works on Common land

Certain types of works on common land need the Secretary of State’s consent under Section 38 of the Commons Act 2006, while other types of work can be carried out without consent because they are exempt. Some works are unlikely to be granted consent under Section 38 – an alternative option would be to seek consent to deregister the common (or part of it). It is ultimately up to the applicant to determine whether consent is needed; please see the guidance sheets Nos 1 to 13 listed below.

The application form and guidance notes on how to complete the form for consent under Section 38 to carry out works on common land.

Deregistering Common Land or a Village Green

The application form and guidance notes on how to complete the form regarding deregistering common land or a village green (under Section 16).

Guidance on carrying out works on common land

Published 1 January 2015
Last updated 2 April 2020 + show all updates
  1. Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice added

  2. Introduction wording updated.

  3. Guidance sheet 13 added to collection

  4. First published.