Common land guidance sheet 1a: consent to construct works on common land

Under section 38 of the Commons Act 2006, you need our consent to carry out any restricted works on land registered as common land.


Consent to construct works on common land: common land guidance sheet 1a

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


This guidance sheet contains information on:

  • do I need consent
  • how do I know that making a section 38 application is the best way forward
  • what steps should I take before applying
  • if I apply under section 38, is my application likely to succeed
  • how do I make an application, and what will happen to it
  • how long will all this take
  • what happens if I make a mistake with my application
  • what should I do if I need to carry out emergency work on a common
Published 1 January 2015
Last updated 14 September 2018 + show all updates
  1. guidance sheet updated with links to other guidance and legislation.
  2. Guidance document updated
  3. First published.