MOT test result

Your vehicle can either pass or fail the MOT. If it fails, you’ll get a list of things that need to be fixed.

Passing the MOT

If your vehicle passes the MOT:

  • you’ll get an MOT certificate from the test centre
  • it will be recorded in the MOT database

Mileage reading

The MOT certificate will show the mileage recorded at the current and previous 3 test passes. This is shown as the ‘odometer reading and history’.

Check the mileage on your MOT certificate when you get it. Contact the MOT centre within 28 days if you think it’s wrong. They’ll check the mileage and give you a replacement certificate if the original reading is wrong.

If you got your certificate more than 28 days ago, report the mistake to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) instead.

You’ll need proof of what the mileage was close to the time of the MOT, for example service receipts.

Email photos or scans of any documents to DVSA. You can also send copies by post. Don’t send original versions of your documents as they won’t be returned.

MOT replacements
Jupiter Road

Failing the MOT

If your vehicle fails the MOT:

You can appeal the result if you think it’s wrong.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

  • have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.