Further education courses and funding

Skip to contents of guide

Financial help

You may be able to get help with the costs of:

  • your course
  • day-to-day living costs
  • childcare

Depending on your circumstances and the subject you’re studying, you may qualify for:

Funding for essential skills

In most cases you will not have to pay for level 1 and 2 English and maths courses. You might be able to take other courses for free.

Funding if you’re on benefits

You can get free training if you’re unemployed and:

Your Jobcentre work coach will tell you what training you can do.

If you’re claiming other benefits or cannot get free training through your job centre, you may be able to get funding from colleges and training providers.

Funding from a charitable trust

Use the Family Action grant search to check if you can get help from a charitable trust.


Find out more about courses and what financial help you can get through the National Careers Service.