Mature students: university and funding

You can study at university as a mature student even if you do not have traditional qualifications. You can also apply for funding.

Entry requirements

Course entry requirements vary - check with the university or college. Some universities will accept professional qualifications or relevant work experience. Others may need:

You do not need qualifications to study at the Open University - it’s open to everyone.

Full-time courses

Search and apply for:

  • undergraduate courses through UCAS
  • postgraduate courses through UCAS or by contacting the university directly
  • teacher training courses through UCAS Teacher Training

Part-time courses

Search for part-time undergraduate and postgraduate courses through the National Careers Service. You can also apply directly to the university or college.

Check if a university or college is officially recognised.

Open University courses

You can search and apply for courses directly through the Open University.

Compare courses

Compare official course data from universities and colleges on the Discover Uni website including:

  • National Student Survey satisfaction scores
  • fees and accommodation costs
  • how the courses are taught and assessed
  • employment and salaries after study
  • university and college course pages

Apply for student finance

You may be able to apply for student finance. The amount you get depends on your family situation and the type of course you’re doing. You may get extra help if you have children.