1. Overview

Higher learning institutions that are officially recognised in the UK are called either ‘recognised’ or ‘listed’ bodies.

Recognised bodies are higher learning institutions that can award degrees.

Listed bodies offer courses that can lead to a degree from a recognised body.

There are also other bodies and institutions that can award their own unique degrees, known as ‘recognised awards’.

If a UK university or college isn’t officially recognised, there’s no guarantee that your degree will count when you’re looking for a job.

More information

We can’t guarantee that the lists of recognised bodies, listed bodies and recognised awards will always be up to date.

If your university or college isn’t listed, contact the Department for Business Innovation and Skills to check that they’re officially recognised.

Department for Business Innovation and Skills recognised.ukdegrees@bis.gsi.gov.uk