What qualification levels mean


Most qualifications have a difficulty level. The higher the level, the more difficult the qualification is.

If you need to know the level of a qualification, you can:

Qualifications at the same level sometimes cover different amounts of the same subject.

Example AS levels and A levels are both level 3, but you study AS levels over 1 year and A levels over 2 years. So you learn more about the subject at A level.


Contact the National Careers Service for advice about qualification levels if you’re in England.

National Careers Service
National Careers Service website
Email a careers adviser
Arrange for a careers adviser to call you
Telephone: 0800 100 900
Monday to Sunday, 8am to 10pm
Find out about call charges

For the rest of the UK, contact: