Make a claim to an employment tribunal

2. Make a claim

You can make a claim to the employment tribunal online.

If you’re claiming money that is owed to you from an employer who’s gone bankrupt, then you’ll need to submit your claim by post.

If you’re making a claim for whistleblowing, read the guidance before applying.


The amount you pay depends on the type of case and your personal circumstances.

You don’t pay a fee if both the following apply:

  • you’re only claiming for unpaid wages or redundancy pay
  • the employer you’re claiming against has gone bankrupt

You may be able to get help paying the fee if you’re getting certain benefits or on a low income.

Type of case Claim fee Hearing fee
Unpaid wages £160 £230
Redundancy pay £160 £230
Breach of contract £160 £230
Unfair dismissal £250 £950
Equal pay £250 £950
Discrimination £250 £950
Whistleblowing £250 £950
Groups or multiple claimants See the fees list See the fees list
All other fees See the fees list See the fees list

How to pay

You can pay your fee by:

  • debit or credit card if you apply online
  • cheque or postal order (made out to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’) if you apply by post

Make a claim by post

You can also download and fill in a claim form and send it to the employment tribunal.

Read the full guidance before you make a claim.

Employment Tribunal Central Office (England and Wales)
PO Box 10218

Employment Tribunal Central Office (Scotland)
PO Box 27105
G2 9JR

Talk-through service

Use the employment tribunal talk-through service only if you’re unable to use a computer without help.

Before calling make sure you have:

  • your Acas early conciliation certificate number or a valid reason why you don’t have one
  • details of your claim including the background, dates and people involved
  • credit or debit card details

Employment tribunal talk-through service
Telephone: 0300 123 1024
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

This service won’t give you advice on the details of your claim. Contact the number for general enquiries instead.