5. If you win your case

If you win your case, the tribunal can order the losing party to do certain things depending on the type of case. Examples include:

  • paying you compensation
  • paying you any tribunal fees and witness expenses you’ve paid
  • improving your working conditions
  • giving you your job back, if appropriate

If you get compensation, the amount can depend on:

  • the type of case - there are limits on certain cases
  • how much money you’ve lost because of the respondent’s actions
  • your age, length of service and salary

If the respondent doesn’t pay

If you don’t get your payment, contact them to find out why.

If they still don’t pay, you may be able to get a court to force them to. You may not be able to do this if the respondent has appealed, or is about to.

If you’re in England or Wales

You can use the Fast Track scheme to send a High Court Enforcement Officer - similar to a bailiff - to demand payment from the respondent.

It costs £60, which you get back from the respondent when they pay.

Fill in the Fast Track Enforcement form (or the Acas settlement form if your case was settled before a hearing) and send it to the address on the form.

You can also ask the local county court to send an enforcement officer to get the money from the respondent. This costs £40.

Fill in an application to enforce an award form and send it with a copy of the tribunal’s decision to your local county court.

If you’re in Scotland

Write to the office that heard your case and ask for an ‘extract of the judgment’. A sheriff officer can use this to force the respondent to pay.

Redundancy payments

Call the Redundancy Payments Helpline if you’re due a redundancy payment and the respondent hasn’t paid it.

Redundancy Payments Helpline
Telephone: 0845 145 0004
Find out about call charges