LV6: Ram pumps and associated pipework
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the ram pumps and associated pipework item.
How much will be paid
£1,480 per pump.
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
- in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution caused by farming, where livestock have been excluded from stream or surface waters
- to encourage grazing to help manage and restore habitats (with the agreement of Natural England)
Where this item cannot be used
- to replace existing equipment in the same location
How this item will benefit the environment
This item will provide livestock with an alternative to drinking from watercourses. It will reduce bank erosion, sediment pollution and the faecal contamination of watercourses.
- set the ram pump on a firm base made out of a 150mm thick slab of concrete or a 150mm layer of consolidated hardcore
- install a suitable water collection facility, sediment tank (if necessary), drive pipe (supplying pump), pump chamber, pump, and delivery pipe
- make sure that all the works meet the relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the site during the different stages of construction or contracts, invoices or other documents confirming the technical specification for the completed works
- photographs of the completed works in place and installed
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- photographs of the site before the work takes place
Related Mid Tier options and items
This item can be used on the same area as the following options and items:
- LV8 - Pipework associated with livestock troughs
- SW1 - 4m to 6m buffer strip on cultivated land
- SW2 - 4m to 6m buffer strip on intensive grassland
- SW11 - Riparian management strip
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
How to use a ram pump
A ram pump uses the power of flowing water to pump a smaller quantity of water at a much higher pressure. Ram pumps do not need fuel or electricity as they run entirely on water. Use a ram pump to pump fresh water from a stream to a head tank or reservoir.
Where to install the pump
Install the pump on a site with enough hydraulic head and a consistent water supply throughout the year.
How to operate the pump
Ram pumps can pump over large distances, but they need a buffer tank at the top of the system. The water entering the pump must have a low sediment content, or the resulting abrasion will lead to excessive wear and tear. Reduce the amount of sediment by using a sedimentation tank. ##Further information
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 29 March 2016
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- Update to 'keeping records' section.
- First published.