Find out about eligibility and requirements for the hard bases for livestock drinkers item.
How much will be paid
£110 per base.
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Only in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution caused by farming, on sites where livestock have been excluded from stream or surface waters
Where this item cannot be used
- under livestock housing, roofs or cattle handling facilities that are not associated with feeding or drinking
- within 10m of ditches, streams or waterways
- on historic or archaeological features identified in the HEFER
How this item will benefit the environment
This item will provide hard bases where livestock can stand when drinking. This will reduce the risk of runoff and water pollution from mobilised sediments and organic manures.
- dig the soil to a depth of at least 150mm, or down to a naturally occurring hard surface
- extend the dug area around the drinking trough to a width of at least 2.5m
- lay a geotextile membrane over the area before placing the hardcore
- compact the hardcore to a depth of at least 150mm, making sure it is well compacted
- blind the finished hardcore to a depth of at least 50mm
- edge the hard base with timber boards
- make sure the base meets relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the site during the different stages of construction or contracts, invoices or other documents confirming the technical specification for the completed works
- photographs of the completed works in place and installed
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- photographs of the site before the work takes place
Related Mid Tier items
This item can be used on the same area as the following items:
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
- make sure the area chosen is a suitable size for the numbers of livestock
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 29 March 2016
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.