LV5: Pasture pumps and associated pipework
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the pasture pumps and associated pipework item.
How much will be paid
£220 per pump.
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
- in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution caused by farming, where livestock have been excluded from stream or surface waters
- to encourage grazing to help manage and restore habitats (with the agreement of Natural England)
Where this item cannot be used
- to replace existing equipment in the same location
How this item will benefit the environment
This item will provide livestock with an alternative to drinking from watercourses. It will reduce bank erosion, sediment pollution and the faecal contamination of watercourses.
- install a low-lift, animal-operated pasture pump
- secure the pump to robust, preserved timber
- construct a hardstanding area around the pump of at least 1m by 1m
- dig the hardstanding area to a depth of at least 150mm, or down to a naturally occurring hard surface
- compact hardcore on a geotextile liner to a depth of at least 150mm
- edge the hardstanding area with preserved timber (no smaller than 150mm by 50mm)
- use medium-density polyethylene pipework with an external diameter of at least 25mm
- make sure that all the joints are made out of brass or plastic and that they are watertight
- make sure that the pump meets relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the site during the different stages of construction or contracts, invoices or other documents confirming the technical specification for the completed works
- photographs of the completed works in place and installed
Applicants will have to send the following with their application: * photographs of the site before the work takes place
Related Mid Tier options and items
This item can be used on the same area as the following options and items:
- LV8 - Pipework associated with livestock troughs
- SW1 - 4m to 6m buffer strip on cultivated land
- SW2 - 4m to 6m buffer strip on intensive grassland
- SW11 - Riparian management strip
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
How many cattle the pump can serve
Pasture pumps can lift water up to around 5m and pump to a distance of up to 50m. One pump can serve 10 to 15 cattle.
How to get best results from the pump
It may be necessary to train livestock to use the pump.
What to do with the pump in the winter
- remove the pump and store it during the winter to guard against frost damage
- make sure the pump is available for inspection after it is removed ##Further information
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 29 March 2016
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.