How much will be paid
£5.60 per square metre.
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
- in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution from agriculture
- on existing slurry stores or lagoons
Where this item cannot be used
- without relevant advice or consents from the Environment Agency (EA) or Local Planning Authority
How this item will benefit the environment
A floating cover for slurry stores and lagoons will help to reduce the volume of dirty water that needs to be stored and spread.
- install a floating cover with a minimum design life of 5 years (with maintenance)
- install a rainproof floating cover on a slurry store or tank
- make sure the tanks or the lagoon’s earth banks are able to support the cover and fastening implements
- install the cover when the store is empty
- direct the rainwater away from the cover into a clean water drain or rainwater harvesting system
- display signs to warn of the dangers of confined spaces and fragile covers
- secure the cover to avoid wind damage and to prevent rainwater running off and mixing with contaminated effluent
- place the cover on floats if needed
- meet the requirements of the SSAFO regulations 2010 and Nitrate Vulnerable Zone (NVZ) requirements
- meet relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards for guidance
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- photographs of site before works start
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Before applying, applicants must seek advice from:
You do not need to provide this with your application, but you will need to submit consents/permissions with your payment claim.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
How to get more detailed advice
Further design advice is available on how to size the loading and washdown area and holding tanks, and on pesticide washing volume calculations, from CSF.
Regulations for slurry stores
The slurry stores should meet the SSAFO regulations which cover the design, construction and maintenance of the stores.
How to maintain the drains
Drains should take rainwater from the cover, making sure it does not mix with effluent, and transport it to clean water ditches and drains. A pump may be needed to help transport the water.
More information about separating clean and dirty water is available from the Rivers Trust.
More information on using covers on circular slurry stores is available.
Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) operates in parts of the country where there are water quality issues linked to farming. The scheme provides farmers with free advice and training. See guidance for further information on CSF support.
See the Mid Tier manual or Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.