1. Working out your Council Tax

You’ll need to know 3 things:

You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction (this used to be called Council Tax Benefit) if you’re on a low income or get benefits.

You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think your home is in the wrong valuation band.

Changes that may affect your Council Tax band

Your property may be revalued and put in a different band in some circumstances, eg if:

  • you demolish part of your property and don’t rebuild it
  • you alter your property to create 2 or more self-contained units, eg an annexe - each unit will have its own band
  • you split a single property into self-contained flats
  • you convert flats into a single property
  • you start or stop working from home
  • there are significant changes to your local area, like a new road being built

Ask your local VOA office if you want to know if changes to your property will affect your Council Tax band.

Contact your local VOA office if you keep horses - you may have to pay business rates on your stables.