You’ll need to know 3 things:
- the valuation band for your home in England and Wales or in Scotland
- how much your local council charges for that band
- whether you can get a discount or exemption from the full bill
You may be able to get Council Tax Reduction (this used to be called Council Tax Benefit) if you’re on a low income or get benefits.
You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think your home is in the wrong valuation band.
Changes that may affect your Council Tax band
Your property may be revalued and put in a different band in some circumstances, eg if:
- you demolish part of your property and don’t rebuild it
- you alter your property to create 2 or more self-contained units, eg an annexe - each unit will have its own band
- you split a single property into self-contained flats
- you convert flats into a single property
- you start or stop working from home
- the previous owner made changes to your property
- there are significant changes to your local area, like a new road being built
- a similar property in your area has its Council Tax band changed
Ask your local VOA office if you want to know if changes to your property will affect your Council Tax band.