Contact the office dealing with your claim if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received - their details will be at the top of any letters from the Pension Service.

If you’re not sure which office to contact, call the Pension Service helpline.

Pension Service helpline
Telephone: 0345 606 0265
Textphone: 0345 722 4433
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

Contact the International Pension Centre if you’re abroad.

Explain what has happened, how this has affected you and what you want to happen to put things right.

The Pension Service will try to solve your issues over the phone or respond within 15 working days.

If you’re unhappy with the response

You’ll be asked if you want your complaint sent to the Director General of Operations for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). They’ll aim to deal with your complaint within 15 working days.

If you’re still unhappy, you can then ask the Independent Case Examiner to investigate - they’re impartial and this is free.

You must not contact the Independent Case Examiner before you’ve received a final response from DWP saying you can do so.

If you’re unhappy with the response from the Independent Case Examiner, you can ask your MP to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

If a mistake has been made

You may get a special payment if you’ve experienced unfair treatment or suffered financially.

You can get independent advice from Citizens Advice.