Contact the Jobcentre Plus office you’ve been dealing with if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received - their details will be at the top of any letters from Jobcentre Plus.

Explain what has happened, how this has affected you and what you want to happen to put things right.

Jobcentre Plus will try to resolve the issue over the phone or deal with your complaint within 15 working days.

You can also make an online complaint about Jobseeker’s Allowance

If you’re unhappy with the response

You’ll be asked if you want your complaint sent to the Director General of Operations for the Department for Work and Pensions. They aim to deal with complaints within 15 working days.

If you’re still unhappy, you can then ask the Independent Case Examiner to investigate - they’re impartial and this is free.

You must not contact the Independent Case Examiner before you’ve received a final response from DWP saying you can do so.

If you’re unhappy with the response from the Independent Case Examiner, you can ask your MP to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

If a mistake has been made

You may get a special payment if you’ve experienced unfair treatment or suffered financially.

You can get independent advice from Citizens Advice.