1. Overview

You may be able to sell your property to the government at its market (‘unblighted’) value or receive a lump-sum payment if it’s near the proposed High Speed Two (HS2) route.

The property scheme you’re eligible for depends on the location of your property and which phase of HS2 affects you.

Check your location

You’ll need to find out if your property is:

  • in the safeguarded area
  • in the rural support zone
  • in the homeowner payment zone
  • outside the zones

Check the route for HS2 Phase 1, HS2 Phase 2a or the rest of HS2 Phase 2 to see if your property is in one of these zones.

You’re in a safeguarded area

You can apply through one of the following:

You’re in a rural support zone (Phases 1 and 2a)

You can apply through one of the following:

You’re in a homeowner payment zone

You may be eligible for the Homeowner Payment Scheme. This will be available after the construction of the HS2 is authorised by Parliament.

You can apply now through the Need to Sell Scheme.

You’re outside the zones

You may be able to apply through the Need to Sell Scheme.

Rent Back

You can apply to rent and continue living in the property if you sell it to the government under one of these schemes.

Contact HS2

Contact HS2 if you have any questions, eg about what scheme you should apply to or the application process.

HS2 enquiry line HS2enquiries@hs2.org.uk
Telephone: 020 7944 4908
Monday to Friday, 9am and 5pm
Find out about call charges