Claim compensation if your property is affected by HS2

Homeowner Payment Scheme (Phase 1)

You may be eligible for a payment if you live in the homeowner payment zone.

Check the Phase 1 maps to find out.

Phase 2a homes will become eligible once this phase is authorised by Parliament.

Who can apply

Your house or 25% of the total area of your property must be in the homeowner payment zone.

You must be the owner occupier of a residential, agricultural or commercial property.

An owner occupier must:

  • be the freeholder or a leaseholder with at least 3 years left on the lease
  • be living in or running a business from the property or have done so for at least 6 months in the last 18 months if the property’s currently empty
  • have bought the property before 9 April 2014 for Phase 1 and before 30 November 2015 for Phase 2a when the proposals for the homeowner payment were announced

Your commercial property will not qualify for homeowner payments if it has a rateable value of £36,000 or more (£44,200 inside Greater London).

What you’ll get

You can claim £7,500 to £22,500 depending on which homeowner payment band you’re in.

Distance from line of the route Amount
Between 120m and 180m £22,500
Between 180m and 240m £15,000
Between 240m and 300m £7,500

You’ll be eligible for the band in which your residential dwelling sits if your land is covered by more than one homeowner payment band.

You may be eligible for the £7,500 band if your dwelling is outside the bands but your land is within them.

You’ll be eligible for the higher payment if the dwelling itself is in more than one band.

Most people who receive money under the homeowner payment scheme would not have to pay tax on it.

You can accept payment and still be eligible for the Need to Sell Scheme - the value of the payment (plus statutory interest) will be deducted from the purchase price.


Fill in the form and follow the instructions to apply.