Rent Back

If you’re selling your property to the government under one of the schemes you can apply to rent it back and continue living in it.


Ask your HS2 case officer to explain the options for renting the property back from the government after it’s sold.

What happens next

The government will assess your property to decide whether to rent it out, based on both:

  • the cost of any repairs needed to make it suitable for renting
  • whether the work is a good use of taxpayers’ money

They will contact you to let you know if you’ll be able to rent it.

If you decide to rent the property, you’ll pay an open market rent and get a tenancy agreement for an initial term of 6 months.

The guidance has more information about Rent Back.