Change your name by deed poll

Skip to contents of guide

Change a child’s name

To change the name of a child under 18 you can either:

  • make an unenrolled deed poll by using a specialist deed poll agency or a solicitor
  • apply for an enrolled deed poll from the Royal Courts of Justice

If you choose an enrolled deed poll, this means your child’s new name will usually appear on public record in The Gazette.

Some organisations will only accept an enrolled deed poll as proof of a name change. Ask the organisation you’re dealing with which type of deed poll they’ll need.

If you’re 16 or 17 you can choose to make your own unenrolled deed poll.

Apply for an enrolled deed poll

You’ll need either:

You must try to reach agreement before you seek a court order.

If everyone with parental responsibility agrees

Download and complete the forms for changing a child’s name - this includes the notification form for The Gazette.

It costs £42.44 to apply.

Send your forms and documents to the King’s Bench Division.

If you’re worried about your child’s name change being published in The Gazette, contact the King’s Bench Division. For example, they may agree to only publish your child’s first name.

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), applications are taking longer than usual to process.

King’s Bench Division
Enforcement Section
Room E15
The Royal Courts of Justice

Telephone: 020 3936 8957
Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm
Find out about call charges

If you need a court order

Read the guidance on making an application to the court.

Fill in form C100 for a ‘specific issue order’.

Send your form to your nearest court that deals with child cases.

It costs £215 to apply for a court order. You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.