2. Make an adult deed poll

You’ll need to do one of the following:

  • use the official forms - do this if you want the name put on the official register (sometimes called being ‘enrolled’)
  • make your own deed poll
  • use a specialist agency or a solicitor

There are different rules if you want to change a child’s name.

Use the official forms

You can put your new name on public record by ‘enrolling’ it at the Royal Courts of Justice. This costs £36.

Download the guidance and forms for changing an adult’s name - this includes the notification form for The Gazette.

Send your forms and documents to:

Queen’s Bench Division
Action Department
The Royal Courts of Justice

Make your own deed poll

If you don’t want to register your deed poll, you can make your own instead, using the following wording:

“I [old name] of [your address] have given up my name [old name] and have adopted for all purposes the name [new name].

Signed as a deed on [date] as [old name] and [new name] in the presence of [witness 1 name] of [witness 1 address], and [witness 2 name] of [witness 2 address].

[your new signature], [your old signature]

[witness 1 signature], [witness 2 signature]”

Some record-holders only accept a new name that’s been ‘enrolled’ using the official forms.