How it works
You’ll need to get a new passport to travel abroad or prove your identity if you change any of the following:
- your name
- your gender
- your appearance, if you cannot be recognised from your passport photo any more (for example, you’ve had plastic surgery)
The name on your passport must match the one you use when you book your travel.
You’ll be sent a new 10 year passport. Time left on your old passport will not be added to your new one.
When you do not need a new passport
You do not need to get a new passport if you:
- change your address or contact details
- get a new job
- change your appearance slightly - for example, dye your hair or grow a beard
- change your marital status (divorce, marry or form a civil partnership) but keep your name
- change your title, for example, doctor or professor
- become a national of another country as well as the UK
How long it takes
Check how long it will take to get a passport before you apply.
If you need a passport urgently, you can find out more about the Online Premium or 1 week Fast Track services.
Do not book travel until you have a valid passport - your new passport will not have the same number as your old one.
If you have a non-British passport
If you have dual citizenship (‘dual nationality’) and have a non-British passport, the name and gender on your non-British passport must match the name and gender you want on your British passport.
If they’re different, change the details on your non-British passport before you apply for a new British passport.
You can apply for a new passport online. It costs £75.50.
Apply using a paper application form
You can get a paper application form by either:
It costs £85.
Fill in and sign your passport application using the name that you want to see printed on your passport.
You must get a countersignature if your appearance has changed and you cannot be recognised from your existing passport.
You do not need a countersignature if you’re changing your name or adding a title.
Unexpired visas in your old passport may become invalid if you change your name. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country that issued the visa.