To travel overseas, you must renew your passport and send additional documents with your application if you change:
- your name (by marriage, civil partnership, deed poll, go back to your maiden name or add middle names)
- gender (even if your name remains the same)
- how you spell your name (eg changing from Brian to Bryan)
You get up to 9 months extra time on a new passport to cover time left on your old one.
Follow the process for renewing a passport - but send the appropriate documents with your application.
When you don’t need to get a new passport
You don’t need a new passport if you:
- change your job, title, address or contact details
- change your marital status but keep your name
- get nationality of another country as well as your British nationality