To travel overseas, you must renew your passport and send additional documents with your application if you change:
- your name - by marriage, civil partnership, deed poll, go back to your maiden name or add middle names
- gender - even if your name remains the same
- how you spell your name, eg changing from Brian to Bryan
You get up to 9 months’ extra time on a new passport to cover time left on your old one.
Follow the process for renewing a passport - but send the appropriate documents with your application.
When you don’t need to get a new passport
You don’t need a new passport if you:
- change your job, title, address or contact details
- change your appearance, eg you grow a beard or dye your hair
- change your marital status but keep your name
- get nationality of another country as well as your British nationality