Titles and small changes to forenames
- change the spelling of your name slightly - for example, Jane to Jayne
- change the order of your forenames
- remove middle names
Fill in and sign your passport application using the name you want to see printed on your passport.
Send 2 documents that show you’re using your new name. These can include a:
- letter from a local council or government department
- driving licence
- bank statement
- baptism or confirmation certificate
If you apply online, explain the change in the additional information box. If you use the paper form, fill in section 8.
Titles you can use on your passport
You can include:
- professional titles - for example, doctor, judge, minister of religion, professor, QC, or JP if you’re a magistrate
- honours or military decorations
Put the details in the ‘other title’ box of your application and send evidence of your title.
Your title will be on the ‘observations’ page of your passport - it won’t be part of your name, except if it’s a title of nobility, for example knight, dame or a lord.