Change your name or personal details on your passport

Titles and small changes to forenames

You can:

  • change the spelling of your name slightly - for example, Jane to Jayne
  • change the order of your forenames
  • remove middle names

Fill in and sign your passport application using the name you want to see printed on your passport.

Send 2 documents that show you’re using your new name. These can include a:

  • letter from a local council or government department
  • driving licence
  • bank statement
  • baptism or confirmation certificate

If you apply online, explain the change in the additional information box. If you use the paper form, fill in section 8.

Titles you can use on your passport

You can include:

  • professional titles - for example, doctor, judge, minister of religion, professor, QC, or JP if you’re a magistrate
  • honours or military decorations

Put the details in the ‘other title’ box of your application and send evidence of your title.

Your title will be on the ‘observations’ page of your passport - it will not be part of your name, except if it’s a title of nobility, for example knight, dame or a lord.