Change your name or personal details on your passport

Divorce or returning to a previous surname

When you apply, you also need to send:

  • your birth certificate
  • a statement signed by you saying you’ve gone back to a previous surname (for example your maiden name) ‘for all purposes’ - that is, you won’t use your married or civil partnership name at all
  • a document that shows you’re using your new name (for example a payslip, or a letter from your local council)

You also need to send either:

  • your decree absolute showing both names
  • a marriage certificate showing both names - if you don’t have it you can order a copy