Benefit cap

2. Benefits affected by the cap

The cap applies to the total amount people in your household (you, your partner and any children living with you) get from the following benefits:

Benefits that aren’t included

You’re not affected by the cap if anyone in your household qualifies for Working Tax Credit or gets any of the following benefits:

If you have adult children or non-dependants living with you and they qualify for any of these benefits, you may be affected by the cap. This is because they’re not usually included in your household.

Get help

Call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if you need help with the benefit cap.

For Universal Credit
Telephone: 0345 600 0723
Telephone (Welsh): 0345 600 3018
Textphone: 0345 600 0743
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You can also contact DWP through the journal in your Universal Credit online account.

For any other benefits
Telephone: 0345 605 7064
Telephone (Welsh): 0345 605 7066
Textphone: 0345 608 8551
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Find out about call charges