End your deputyship

If you no longer want or need to be a deputy, download and fill in the application notice (COP1) and send it to the Court of Protection.

If the person has recovered mental capacity, download and fill in form COP 9. Send it to the Court of Protection with any supporting evidence, for example a doctor’s letter.

Court of Protection
PO Box 70185
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn

You cannot stop being a deputy until you’ve got the relevant court order.

If the person you’re deputy for dies

Contact the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) and the Court of Protection to tell them that the person has died.

Office of the Public Guardian
Telephone: 0300 456 0300
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, 9am to 5pm
Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Court of Protection
Telephone: 0300 456 4600
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

You’ll also have to send evidence to OPG that the person has died, for example a death certificate. Check the full list of evidence that OPG accepts.

Office of the Public Guardian
PO Box 16185
B2 2WH

Your security bond will remain in force for 7 years after the death of the person you’re a deputy for unless there’s a court order cancelling it.

Contact the Court Funds Office if the person you were deputy for had an account with them.

Read more about how to be a deputy.