You must pay a fee to apply to be a deputy.

You must also pay:

  • a supervision fee every year after you’ve been appointed
  • a ‘security bond’ - if you’re appointed as a property and affairs deputy

When you apply

You must pay a £385 application fee. Send this with your application form.

You need to pay the application fee twice if you’re applying to become both types of deputy.

You’ll also need to pay £500 if the court decides your case needs a hearing. The court will tell you when you need to pay this.

Make all cheques payable to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’.

After you’ve been appointed

You must pay an annual supervision fee depending on what level of supervision your deputyship needs. You’ll pay:

  • £320 for general supervision
  • £35 for minimal supervision - this applies to some property and affairs deputies managing less than £21,000

Your annual supervision fee is due on 31 March for the previous year.

You’ll also need to pay a £100 assessment fee if you’re a new deputy.

The Office of the Public Guardian will tell you how and when to pay your assessment and supervision fees.

You may be able to claim a refund of your fees in certain situations.

Security bonds for property and affairs deputies

You must pay a ‘security bond’ when you’re appointed as a property and affairs deputy. This is a type of insurance that protects the finances of the person you’re a deputy for.

You pay the bond to a security bond provider. You’ll get a letter from the court telling you how to do this.

The amount you pay depends on:

  • the value of the estate of the person you’re a deputy for
  • how much of their estate you control

You can pay it either:

  • using the person’s money
  • yourself - you can get the money back from the person’s estate once you have access to it

You may be prosecuted if you misuse the person’s money.

Getting help with your application fee

You may not have to pay an application fee depending on:

  • what type of deputy you’re applying to be
  • how much money you or the person you’re applying to be deputy for has
Type of deputy Whose finances will be assessed
Property and financial affairs Theirs
Personal welfare Yours

The guidance has information about getting help with your fees.

You can claim back the fee from the funds of the person you want to be a deputy for if you’re applying to be a property and affairs deputy.

The fee will be refunded if the person dies within 5 days of the Court of Protection receiving the application.

Getting help with your supervision fees

You can apply for an exemption or reduction of the fee if the person you’re a deputy for gets certain benefits or has an income below £12,000. Read the guidance that comes with the form and apply if the person meets the requirements. The address is on the form.

If the person you’re deputy for dies, you pay the supervision fee for the part of the year when you acted as deputy. For example, you’ll have to pay £17.50 if your minimal supervision deputyship comes to an end after 6 months.