When you're appointed

You’ll be sent a ‘court order’ telling you what you can and cannot do as a deputy. You can start acting on behalf of the person:

  • as soon as you’re appointed - if you’re a personal welfare deputy
  • when you pay a security bond - if you’re a property and affairs deputy

You’ll need a separate court order before you can:

Check the court order. If there are any mistakes, download and fill in form COP9 with the details and send it to the court within 21 days of receiving the court order. There is no fee.

Tell people and organisations you’re a deputy

You’ll get official copies of the court order to send to banks and building societies, for example. These prove you’re acting on behalf of the other person. When you send out an official copy, ask for it to be returned.

Order extra copies of the court order by writing to the Court of Protection. They cost £5 each.

Court of Protection
PO Box 70185
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn

Start managing a bank account

Before you can manage an account, you must show the bank:

  • the original court order, or an official copy of it
  • proof of your name, for example your passport or driving licence
  • proof of your address, for example a gas, electricity or council tax bill, or letter from a government department
  • proof of the donor’s name or address if they’re not the same as on the bank account

Court Funds Office accounts

If the person you’re deputy for has money in a Court Funds Office account, you’ll be sent information about how to access it.

You can also apply to open an account with the Court Funds Office if you’re a property and affairs deputy and it’s in the person’s best interests.

Record your decisions and transactions

You can start your annual report to record your decisions and transactions, such as paying bills.