Deputies: make decisions for someone who lacks capacity

10. Complete your annual report

You must write a report each year explaining the decisions you’ve made as a deputy.

Property and financial deputies

You can use the online service to report property and financial decisions.

Or you can download and fill in a paper annual report form. The address you need to send it to is on the form.

Personal welfare or professional deputies

If you’re reporting medical decisions or you’re a solicitor, for example, you must use a paper annual report form.

What to include

Your report must include:

  • the reasons for your decisions and why they were in the best interests of the person you’re deputy for
  • who you spoke to and what they said was in the person’s best interests
  • the finances of the person you’re deputy for, like their bank statements or spreadsheets

The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) will tell you when it’s time to send it.

If you don’t send the report OPG might:

  • increase your level of supervision
  • ask the court to replace you with a different deputy