Change your deputyship or make a one-off decision

You must apply to the Court of Protection if you have to:

  • renew your deputyship
  • change your deputyship, for example make decisions that are not in the original order
  • make a one-off decision on something not covered by your court order

How to apply

Download and fill in both:

Your witness statement should include:

  • the total annual income of the person you’re a deputy for including pensions
  • a summary of their assets, for example bank balances, savings, investments
  • details of property they own
  • the annual cost of their care and other regular items of major expenditure
  • the value of the security bond set by the court
  • a description of the circumstances that have led to the application being made

Send the Court of Protection:

  • the completed forms
  • a cheque for the application fee - £385 - payable to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’

You can apply for help paying the fee if you’re getting certain benefits or on a low income.

Court of Protection
PO Box 70185
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn

If you need help with changing your deputyship, call the Court of Protection.

Court of Protection
Telephone: 0300 456 4600
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

What happens next

You may have to notify other people about the change to the court order if the court tells you to.

They can object or ask the court to reconsider any proposed changes they do not agree with. They can do this:

  • before the court order is issued
  • up to 21 days after the court order is issued