Apply for Marriage Allowance

Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,260 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner. It’s free to apply for Marriage Allowance.

This can reduce their tax by up to £252 every tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

To benefit as a couple, you need to earn less than your partner and have an income of £12,570 or less. Your partner’s income must be between £12,571 and £50,270 (£43,662 in Scotland) for you to be eligible.

You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2018 that you were eligible for Marriage Allowance. If your partner has since died you can still claim - phone the Income Tax helpline.

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Before you apply

You need your National Insurance number and your partner’s.

If you have come to the UK and you do not plan to work or study, you cannot get a National Insurance number. Phone the Income Tax helpline to apply for Marriage Allowance.

You also need a way to prove your identity. You can use any 2 of the following:

  • your P60
  • one of your 3 most recent payslips
  • your UK passport details
  • information held on your credit file (such as loans, credit cards or mortgages)
  • details from your Self Assessment tax return (in the last 3 years)
  • your Northern Ireland driving licence

Apply online

The quickest way to apply for Marriage Allowance is online. You’ll get an email confirming your application within 24 hours.

Start now

Other ways to apply

If you cannot apply online, you can apply for Marriage Allowance: