Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work)

What you'll get

You’ll be offered support based on your needs. This may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace, or getting to and from work.

The grant can help pay for items or services you need, including:

  • adaptations to the equipment you use
  • special equipment or software
  • British Sign Language interpreters and video relay service support, lip speakers or note takers
  • adaptations to your vehicle so you can get to work
  • taxi fares to work or a support worker if you cannot use public transport
  • a support worker or job coach to help you in your workplace
  • disability awareness training for your colleagues
  • the cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job

Access to Work can also help assess whether your needs can be met through reasonable adjustments by your employer.

Mental health support

You can get confidential support and advice from a trained healthcare professional from the Mental Health Support Service. You do not need to have a diagnosed condition to use the service.

You do not have to get Access to Work to get support from the Mental Health Support Service, but you must be eligible.

To get mental health support you can apply for Access to Work. You can also contact one of the Mental Health Support Service providers directly. They are:

How your Access to Work grant is paid

You or your employer will buy the items or services you need.

Access to Work will pay the money back, up to the amount of the grant you’ve been offered and with any contributions (such as employer or NHS contributions) deducted.

What Access to Work will not cover

You will not get an Access to Work grant to pay for:

  • changes that your employer has to make (reasonable adjustments)
  • items that would normally be needed to do the job whether a person is disabled or not
  • support that your employer used to provide but has stopped