Access to Work

2. Eligibility

To get an Access to Work grant you must:

  • have a disability, health condition or mental health condition that affects your ability to work
  • be 16 or over
  • live in England, Scotland or Wales - there’s a different system in Northern Ireland

Your work

One of the following must apply:

  • you have a paid job
  • you’re self-employed
  • you have a job interview
  • you’re about to start a job or work trial
  • you’re starting work experience

You can’t get a grant for voluntary work.

The employer has to be in England, Scotland or Wales.

Your condition

Your disability or health condition must either:

  • affect your ability to do a job
  • mean you have to pay work-related costs, for example special computer equipment or travel costs because you can’t use public transport

It must also either:

  • be likely to last at least a year
  • have lasted at least a year already

Mental health conditions

Your mental health condition must both:

  • affect your ability to do a job
  • mean you need support to start a new job, reduce absence from work or stay in work


You might not qualify if you get any of these benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Income Support
  • National Insurance Credits

You might still qualify for Access to Work if you earn less than £105 a week and either work:

  • as part of a treatment programme to get you off benefits
  • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation who arranges work for disabled people

This is called ‘supported permitted work’.

You change jobs

Tell Access to Work if you change jobs. You may be able to:

  • transfer equipment to a new job
  • get a different amount of grant

You have to make a new application to:

  • transfer support workers
  • get travel costs