Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work)

Skip to contents of guide


Check you’re eligible before you apply.

You can apply for Access to Work online or by phone.

You’ll need to provide:

  • your workplace address and postcode
  • the name of a workplace contact who can authorise your Access to Work payments
  • your workplace contact’s email address or work phone number
  • your unique tax reference number (if you’re self-employed)

You’ll also need to explain:

  • how your condition affects you at work or getting to work
  • what help you’re already getting
  • what else could help you

It will help your application if you’ve spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments before you apply for Access to Work.

Apply online

Apply by phone

You can apply by calling the Access to Work helpline. Make sure you have all the necessary details with you when you call.

Access to Work helpline
Telephone: 0800 121 7479
Textphone: 0800 121 7579
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 7479
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service

To use this you must:

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Alternative formats

Call the Access to Work number to ask for alternative formats, such as braille, large print or audio CD.


You can contact Access to Work to complain if you are not happy with how your case has been handled.