The British Consulate in Perth represents the UK government in Australia.

Find out more on our UK and Australia news page. We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Western Australia. You can access UK government services while in Australia.

Urgent assistance

If you’re travelling in Australia, see our Australia travel advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you’re in Western Australia and you need advice which is not covered by reading our travel advice then you can contact us online

If you’re in Western Australia and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +61 (0)8 9224 4700. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British person in Western Australia, call 020 7008 5000 (24/7, 365 days a year).

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document (ETD) if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Registering a same-sex marriage

While registering same-sex marriages in all our consulates around Australia was a service we once provided, due to updates in Australian legislation and the legalisation of same-sex marriages, we no longer register same-sex marriages in British consulates in Australia.

We do however still convert civil partnerships into marriages, please see below:

Convert a civil partnership into a marriage

We can convert an existing civil partnership into marriage. You must have been living in Australia for 28 days. You don’t have to convert your civil partnership into a marriage in the country you formed it in.

What to bring with you:

  • your original passport and your partner’s original passport
  • original civil partnership certificate
  • proof of residence, such as your driving licences, employer’s letters, or bank statements/utility bills
  • the correct fee – see the list of fees

See convert a civil partnership into a marriage for full details.

Book an appointment to convert a civil partnership in Perth

Please note: bookings are reservations only. Please don’t make formal arrangements until our staff have confirmed the date and time.

Notice of intended marriage

British nationals who live in Australia and want to marry in another country will need to go to that country to post notice of their marriage there.

See information on getting married overseas.

Notarial and documentary services

Our consulates around Australia are unable to carry out notarial acts under the Commissioner of Oaths Act 1889, and on instruction from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office in London.

This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, or the legalising of documents, please contact a notary public.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Australia.

We also provide services in:

Contact us

British Consulate General Perth

Level 12
251 Adelaide Terrace
Perth WA 6000

+61 (08) 9224 4700 If you experience technical difficulties call +61(0)2 6270 6666 / +44 20 7008 5000

Public access to the British Consulate General is by appointment only.
24/7 support is available by telephone for all routine enquiries and emergencies. Please call +61 (08) 9224 4700

For consular enquiries, use the contact form:

For non-consular enquiries, email

Access and opening times

Corporate information