Switch to this visa
You can apply to change (‘switch’) from a Representative of an Overseas Business visa to a Long-term Staff Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa.
You can’t switch to a Graduate Trainee Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
- already be in the UK
- have a representative of an overseas business visa
- be still working for the same employer named on your previous application
How long you can stay
Your stay can be extended for the shortest of the following:
- the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
- the time needed to extend your stay to the maximum time allowed in your visa category
- 5 years (9 years if you earn more than £120,000 a year)
How to switch your visa
Read the Tier 2 guidance notes before you apply.
Apply to switch your visa online as an individual or a family group.
You can also ask to use the priority service.
You can usually get a same-day decision at a premium service centre by booking a premium service appointment when you complete your online application.
You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo).
You can give your biometric information at:
- certain Post Office branches if you applied online (this costs £19.20)
- a premium service centre if you applied in person
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.
How long it takes
Decisions are made:
- within 8 weeks for online applications
- within 10 days if you’re able to use the Tier 2 priority application service
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your circumstances or application are more complicated, for example if:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.