Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa

Switch to this visa

You can apply to change (‘switch’) from a Representative of an Overseas Business visa to a Long-term Staff Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa.

You can’t switch to a Graduate Trainee Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa.

You should apply before your current visa expires.


You must:

How long you can stay

Your stay can be extended for the shortest of the following:

  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
  • the time needed to extend your stay to the maximum time allowed in your visa category
  • 5 years (9 years if you earn more than £120,000 a year)

How to switch your visa

Read the Tier 2 guidance notes before you apply.

Apply to switch your visa online as an individual or a family group.

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

You can also ask to use the priority service.

You can usually get a same-day decision at a premium service centre by booking a premium service appointment when you complete your online application.

Biometric information

You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo).

You can give your biometric information at:

You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to switch your visa is successful.

How long it takes

Decisions are made:

  • within 8 weeks for online applications
  • within 10 days if you’re able to use the Tier 2 priority application service
  • usually on the same day if you use the premium service

You’ll be contacted if your circumstances or application are more complicated, for example if:

  • your supporting documents need to be verified
  • you need to attend an interview
  • you have a criminal conviction

Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.