Extend your visa
You might be able to apply to extend your stay in the UK depending on what type of Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa you have.
You must have either of the following Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visas:
- Long-term Staff
- Graduate Trainee
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You must also:
- have the same or a similar job to the one you received your previous visa for
- still work for the employer who provided your certificate of sponsorship
- still earn an ‘appropriate salary’ - read the full guidance if you’re not sure
- already be in the UK
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend - including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
How long you can stay
The amount of time you can extend your stay depends on the type of Tier 2 (Intra-company) visa you have.
Your stay can be extended for the shortest of the following:
- the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
- the time needed to extend your stay to the maximum time allowed in the category
- 5 years (9 years if you earn more than £120,000 a year)
You can extend your stay if your original visa was for less than 12 months. You can only extend your visa by up to 12 months.
How to extend your visa
Read the Tier 2 guidance notes before you apply.
Apply online as an individual or as a family group. Choose the visa you want to apply for:
You can also ask to use the priority service.
You can usually get a same-day decision at a premium service centre by booking a premium service appointment when you complete your online application.
You must also provide your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo).
You can give your biometric information at:
- certain Post Office branches if you applied online (this costs £19.20)
- a premium service centre if you applied in person
You’ll get a biometric residence permit if your application to extend your visa is successful.
How long it takes
Decisions are made:
- within 8 weeks for online applications
- within 10 days if you’re able to use the Tier 2 priority application service
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your circumstances or application are more complicated, for example if:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- you have a criminal conviction
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.