You may need a permit to treat, recover or get rid of waste. Some low-risk activities are exempt if you’re registered - check if your activity qualifies for an exemption.

Start now on the Environment Agency website

Before you start

There is no charge to register, but you must meet certain conditions.

You’ll need:

  • your name and address
  • the registered address and number of your limited company, if you have one
  • the address where the exempt activity is being carried out
  • the ‘waste code’ reference numbers for the exemptions you’re registering - read the guidance for different activities

If you can’t provide a postcode for the place where the exempt activity is taking place you will need a 12-digit grid reference.

The T11 exemption to treat waste electrical and electronic equipment can’t be registered online. You’ll need to fill in a form.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Find out about your waste responsibilities in: