Protect yourself from future flooding
- check for flooding in the next 5 days
- sign up for flood warnings by phone, text or email
- check your long term flood risk from rivers, the sea, surface water, reservoirs and groundwater (where data is available)
Make a flood plan
Plan how you’ll respond to a flood. You can make a:
- personal flood plan
- community or group flood plan - if you’re responsible for an organisation such as a school, hospital, care home or community group
- business flood plan
Keep your flood plan in a safe place with other essential items, for example spare medication, important documents and contact details.
Find local support
Find out what support is available in your local area before, during and after a flood, for example:
- flood action groups - volunteers who work with local councils and agencies to reduce flood risks and represent local people
- community flood wardens - volunteers who monitor a specific local area and tell residents when flooding is likely to happen
- community hubs - where you can find food, clothing, shelter and advice during a flood
You can find your nearest flood action group, community flood wardens or community hub:
If you own a riverside property
If you own property next to a watercourse, for example a river, culvert, brook or mill stream, you must:
- maintain river beds and banks
- not obstruct the water flow
- not pollute the water
- protect wildlife
Read guidance on the rights and responsibilities of owning a riverside property.
Contact the Environment Agency if you have questions about your responsibilities.
If your property’s next to a canal
Contact the Canal and River Trust to check who’s responsible for maintaining the canal.
If you have a disability or need extra help
Ask your local council if you can get extra help during a flood.
Citizens Advice can help make sure you’ll get support if your energy supply is affected.
Ask Floodline to send flood warnings to a friend or relative on your behalf.
Telephone: 0345 988 1188
Textphone: 0345 602 6340
Find out about call charges