Accounts and tax returns for private limited companies

Skip to contents of guide

Filing accounts and tax returns

You file your accounts with Companies House and your Company Tax Return with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

You may be able to file them together if you have a private limited company that does not need an auditor.

What you want to do How you can do it
File accounts and tax return together Use HMRC’s online service or accounting software
File accounts with Companies House separately Send your accounts to Companies House online
File tax return with HMRC separately Use HMRC’s online service or accounting software

You’ll need your:

  • HMRC online account details
  • company registration number
  • Companies House online account details

Corrections and amendments

Check what you must do to correct or amend:

Using accountants or tax advisers to file for you

You can:

  • give your accountant or tax adviser your Companies House authentication code so they can file your accounts
  • appoint an agent to file your Company Tax Return