9. Enduring power of attorney

Enduring powers of attorney have been replaced by lasting powers of attorney in England and Wales. However, they can still be used if they were made and signed before October 2007.

There is a different process in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

You must register the enduring power of attorney if the donor is losing, or has lost the ability to make their own decisions.

Cancel an enduring power of attorney

You can cancel an unregistered enduring power of attorney at any time if you’re the donor.

You’ll need to get the permission of the Court of Protection if it’s been registered.

You’ll need to prove that you’re able to make your own decisions.

Court of Protection
Telephone: 0300 456 4600
Textphone: 020 7664 7755
Find out about call charges

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.