What you can get

You could get help with the costs of legal advice or getting someone to speak or negotiate for you.

You may have to pay some money towards the legal costs of your case.

If your problem is covered by legal aid and you qualify you could get:

  • advice on your rights and options
  • help with negotiations and paperwork
  • help if you’re accused of a crime, for example advice at a police station
  • a solicitor or barrister to get your case ready and speak on your behalf in court and some tribunals

You might be able to get legal aid for problems like:

  • homelessness or losing your home, or if it’s in serious disrepair
  • protecting yourself or your child from abuse or harassment, for example domestic violence or forced marriage
  • poor quality care you or a family member are getting due to age, disability or special educational needs
  • needing advice on finances, children or divorce if you’ve been in an abusive relationship
  • a child in your family being at risk of being taken into care
  • family mediation, for example if you’re separating or getting a divorce
  • discrimination
  • challenging the way the government has made a decision about you
  • seeking asylum or if you’ve been the victim of human trafficking
  • being arrested, charged or questioned by the police
  • needing representation at a mental health tribunal or inquest
  • appealing a decision made by the social security tribunal about your benefits to the Upper Tribunal, Court of Appeal or Supreme Court

Exceptional case funding

You may be able to get legal aid in other exceptional cases, if you can show that being refused legal aid would infringe:

  • your rights under the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR)
  • your EU rights to legal representation

Get advice from a legal adviser about whether you’re eligible and how to apply.

You can also apply directly to the Exceptional Case Funding team at the Legal Aid Agency.