Get help agreeing

A mediator can help you and your ex-partner agree on how to split money and property, without taking sides.

Mediation is not relationship counselling. It can help you agree on how you’ll divide your assets, including:

  • money
  • property
  • savings
  • investments

Find a local mediator.

Check if you can get legal aid for mediation.

What you agree in mediation is not legally binding unless you get a solicitor to draft a consent order for a court to approve.

The mediator can decide mediation is not right for you (for example, if there’s been domestic abuse and you need to go to court instead).

If you need more help agreeing

You can:

If you do not agree on everything

You can ask a court to decide on anything you have not already agreed.

You must show you’ve attended a meeting to see if mediation is right for you before applying to a court. You will not have to in certain cases, for example if there’s been domestic abuse or social services are involved.