3. Apply for a consent order

You need to get a solicitor to draft a ‘consent order’ if you want to make an agreement legally binding.

This is a legal document that confirms your agreement, and can include details on how you are going to divide up your assets, including:

  • money
  • property
  • savings
  • investments

It can also include arrangements for maintenance payments, including child maintenance.

You and your ex-partner both have to sign the draft consent order.

Both of you also need to fill in:

Send these forms to the court with the draft consent order attached. Keep your own copies.

A consent order costs £50.

You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.

A judge will approve the agreement to make it legally binding if they think it’s fair and reasonable.