Form A: Notice of [intention to proceed with] an application for a financial order

Use Form A to start the request for a financial order in divorce or civil partnership proceedings


Hysbysiad o gais [o fwriad i fwrw ymlaen a chais] am orchymyn ariannol / Notice of [intention to proceed with] an application for a financial order

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You can ask a court to make a financial order if you’ve started the paperwork to divorce or end your civil partnership.

It is usually more straightforward to divide money and property before you apply for the final legal document to end the relationship.

You can divide money and property after your divorce is finalised or civil partnership has ended but it may change what you’re entitled to get and you may have to pay tax on it.

How to apply

Send 2 copies of the form to the court dealing with paperwork in your area to divorce or end your civil partnership. Keep a copy for yourself. You can hire a solicitor to help you apply for a financial order from the court.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 January 2018
Last updated 1 December 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated summary and details to explain the process in more detail

  2. Revised Form A.

  3. Revised form A published.

  4. First published.