4. How to claim

A police custody officer will help you get legal aid if you’ve been arrested and held at a police station.

A solicitor will check if you qualify for legal aid if you’re charged with a crime or have to go to court.

Contact a local legal adviser or solicitor for any type of legal aid case. For debt, housing, education, family and discrimination cases, contact Civil Legal Advice.

What you need to know

You’ll need to give information about the following for both you and your partner:

  • benefits - including benefits statements
  • income, savings and spending - including pay slips and bank statements
  • National Insurance numbers

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.